Are you looking to revitalize your aluminum garage doors? You may be considering a paint job with a brand new color or design. Before you commit to your paint project, you may want to consider whether painting an aluminum garage door is a good idea.
Below, we look at the pros and cons of applying paint to a garage door, as well as explore a couple of alternatives that may improve your home’s value.
● Create a New Look
Your garage door is one of the most noticeable elements of your home’s exterior. Therefore, repainting the garage door could breathe new life into your overall design. You may want to consider a contrasting color to your current home layout so your garage door truly stands out.
● Add a Layer of Protection to the Aluminum
If you plan to match the current color or design, then a new paint job could provide an added layer of protection to the aluminum surface. All you have to do is identify the exact color code number that is on the door now, get a fresh mix of paint, and then apply it to the surface.
● Increase the Resale Value of Your Home
If you are trying to sell your home, then a new coat of paint could be the missing element in completing your curb appeal. It is an affordable project that could seal the deal on a home sale.
● Additional Work Every Few Years
Aluminum garage doors contain a coating of baked enamel or powder coat. These coatings are durable and weatherproof. If you decide to paint over the current surface, you will have to apply a new coat of paint every few years. The new paint will not last as long as the original coating.
If you paint your garage door, you will have to use an oil-based primer and paint. These types of paints contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are bad for the environment and difficult to remove or clean up.
● It May Not Be Worth the Work
If you are going to paint your garage door, you’ll quickly discover there is a lot of work involved. You may have to remove the door, disassemble the panels, find a dedicated area to paint the panels, and then put it all back together and reinstall it. This may take more effort than you are willing to give.
Alternatives to Painting Your Garage Door
There are two alternatives to painting your garage door:
1. Purchase a new custom garage door. You may be able to find the door you are looking for or get a new custom garage door. A new garage door installation will last longer than your old door and add value to your home. Plus, there are several options for aluminum garage doors.
2. Get your door professionally painted. Get a professional garage door specialist to paint the aluminum garage door for you. This will ensure the job is performed according to industry standards and the coating will last a long time.
Garage Door Installation in the Twin Cities Metro Area
With all the options available for garage doors, now is the time to get yours replaced. Garage Door Repair Company specializes in garage door repair, complete system replacement, and new garage door installation for residential properties St. Paul.
To schedule an inspection or an installation, call us at 612-886-9606, or you can message us on our contact page.